Uganda is generally a very safe destination today. As a traveler your main dangers are those of mosquito-borne disease and dangerous driving.
If you decide to travel to Uganda or Rwanda
1. Prior to Arrival in Uganda/ Rwanda, check for Traveler Advisories and Alerts issued by the U.S. State Depart or the British Foreign Office include checking the Website of your Country’s Embassy Website in Uganda/ Rwanda.
2. Take out Travelers Insurance that includes a Trip Cancellation Option.
3. Do a Google News Search for Uganda/ Rwanda that includes your concern.
4. Avoid Self-Drive – sounds wonderful but you do not know Uganda/ Rwanda and for first-time visitors driving here can be chaotic.
5. Avoid any night travel outside of Entebbe-Kampala. With us, Late Arrivals at Entebbe International – stay in Entebbe for the night.
6. We use only mid-range and upmarket Lodges and Hotels with onsite Security
7. Use a Mobile Phone with Skype and or WhatsApp on it – most hotels and lodges have WiFi.
8. Do not arrange your own Safari by attempting to book lodges, a vehicle, permits. This is not a vacation in Europe where you can easily do that. We know Uganda, we live and work here, we know how to cut through the confusion and create a logical, sensible safari for you
9. We suggest that without being Paranoid – stay aware. That is exactly what US State Department suggest US Citizens traveling to Uganda do.